View Single Post
Old 11-23-19, 05:42 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
For me fully-loaded means carrying gear on front and rear and gear should include sleeping, cooking, tent, plus room for a reasonable amount of clothing and personal items. I would not recommend this kind of carbon-rig for expedition touring such as I did on my Alaska tour.

I understand the definition of fully loaded to be about what you carry and not necessarily how you carry it....so sleeping stuff, cooking, tent, plus room for a reasonable amount of clothing and personal items is fully loaded to me. Whether a bike is also good for adventure riding is going to depend on tire clearance, maybe suspension and certainly the ability to carry sufficient supplies. You can do all that with many types of frames.

The 25mm tire limit on my carbon Cervelo means that I would not strike out on any really rough stuff with it, but for road touring and light gravel it's great. As you can see you don't need frame inserts or multiple bikepacking bags to tour "fully loaded". But I hanker for bigger tires to give me a few more options so a carbon Specialized Diverge is top of my list and I think that will be an excellent on and off road touring/adventure bike.