Old 05-18-21, 02:11 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
bike science: more than 1 way to turn a bike?

My impression is that a bike can be either steered or leaned to turn.

That you can keep a bike more upright and turn it by moving the bars. Or that you can move the bars less and lean it over more to turn it.

Who is a bike science expert here?

I understand countersteering. I also see that wiki says "countersteering has not yet been fully described in scientific literature."

It seems like some geometry is more conducive to leaning a bike. ...Fork flop is a front end function. Some bikes have a slack head angle and thus a lot of fork flop and yet don't turn the bike quickly: like a chopper. The front wheel lays over more than it redirects the bike. Other bikes have steep head angle and small bar movements change bike direction a lot.

I feel like I can take slippery corners faster than many riders, especially in cyclocross, because I have more steer in my ratio of lean/steer. The bike might as a result slide in a corner but it doesn't fall down. (This happens in rain, mud, snow.)

In fast flat crit corners I feel like I can go thru them faster because I keep pedaling through the corner, again because of my steer proportion. ...In an UPHILL corner most know how to corner AND keep the power on, but some do get confused because they aren't used to powering and cornering at the same time.

[UPDATE: As I mention somewhere below, turning while keeping a more upright bike angle gives 2 kinds of safety that can benefit anyone: helps you avoid sliding out in a slippery corner, helps you do emergency moves like pothole avoidance more safely. I've benefited often from both. I've seen many crashes by those who don't seem to know how to do this. I've also seen science-types say it's not possible. I'm wondering what's happening. I've had elite riders tell me that my imagined ability to steer comes from bent arms which is what is keeping me safe not steering. So there's that.]

Last edited by JeffOYB; 05-23-21 at 10:26 AM.