Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
I also imagine what it would be like if there were no beg buttons (crosswalk buttons) and all lights were automatically set up so they gave a walk signal without having to find the button and push it. Or maybe they were set for bikes and pedestrians first, and cars came second.
Out of things you've imagined about, this is one I've wondered frequently. What happened to the time when a walk signal was on for anytime the light was green and a protected turn arrow wasn't also green?

Why do we have to beg by pushing the button when waiting motor traffic on the sensors will be changing the light green anyhow. I've tried to see if any more safety is imparted by not having a walk light lit until needed, but I can't find much meat to grab for the argument.

It mostly affects me when I walk with my wife. And at the major intersection we pass through regularly I can't come up with any reason why not to keep the walk light lit from green to red. It is nice to have it start flashing and doing a countdown when it's about to change. But why can't that countdown be based on when it's about to change to red instead of from 10 seconds after the light turns solid green?

How is that few seconds any safer for me to cross than the other sometimes upwards of 90 seconds not safe when the other lights are not otherwise changing?