View Single Post
Old 10-04-22, 04:49 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Wow, great information. I do agree that your frame must be a Super Sprint and it could have originally been white. I wonder if the 'LX' or 'decor' paint finishes were added on top of the original colour just to 'fancy it up'? White would be the base colour no doubt - whether it was original or the new base of a total re-paint may never be clear. My guess - the original colour is white. Great photo down the steerer tube.

Now those really interesting rear dropouts and 130mm spacing. I think the obvious explanation is that it was setup for 8 speeds. Was it originally Campagnolo or Shimano? I don't think it really matters but it would be nice to know. I suppose you could originally buy this as a complete bike or a frameset and add any components you like.

The build date, as you point out is important. The Super Sport model seems to have come to an end in 1990 and yours is most probably a Super Sprint. But I think Shimano 8 speed was introduced in 1991 and Campagnolo 8 speed was also introduced in 1991 but only available in 1992 (I think). I also think those vertical rear dropouts were introduced around that time as the Shimano and Campagnolo indexing through 'brifters' benefited by having the rear wheel in a constant position. Then again, Campagnolo had indexing through down tube Synchro shifters prior to the 'brifters' where indexing was based within the brake levers.

When were the vertical dropouts actually introduced by Colnago? It must have been around this time but I can't find that information anywhere. Were they introduced just before the 8 Speed developments by Shimano and Campagnolo?

Could the rear spacing have been reset on this frame from 126mm to 130mm? Perhaps this is a way of making a frame built in 1989 or 1990 suit 8 speeds?

I must admit that I don't put much faith in holding Colnago to actual dates. I wonder if the Super Sprint model was generally stopped in 1990 but perhaps some of the contracted little framebuilders around Italy, producing lower end frames for Colnago continued to run out components until they were gone but adapted the frames to suit 8 speeds??? Thus a Super Sprint built for 8 speeds??? Taking the Super Sprint model past 1990 and overlapping the "Super 91" model.

I also find it very interesting to see the Super Sprints made from Columbus Cromor SL. I wonder where the frame decal went? They are stuck on very well. Perhaps this is another indication the frame was completely re-painted? Anyway Columbus Cromor SL - a seamed tubing and drawn out to replicate Columbus SL. I have had 3 (still got 1) Pinarello's built from Cromor (Asolo model) and they ride beautifully but I was told that these Cromor frames replicated Columbus SLX. Riding these bikes, I could not tell the difference from Cromor or SLX. I would guess that the weight of the frames were very similar too. My guess is that your Cromor frame would be indistinguishable from Columbus SL - a great tubeset.

Another question. I know Colnago introduced painted on 'Colnago' lettering to help stop their frames being counterfeited but I am unsure as to when this happened? I wonder if the newer Super Sprints had stuck on or applied 'Colnago' decals. You show an older Super Sprint with stuck on decals. My guess is that they would have still had stuck on decals - decals applied on top of the painted finish. My Colnago frames of a similar vintage have stuck on decals as far as I can make out. My bikes, of a very similar vintage, have the thinest of decals and it is really difficult to tell if they are on top of the painted finish or under a clear coat - as I stated, I think they are on top of the painted finish. The frame material (Columbus) decals are much thicker and are definitely on top of the painted finish. If the 'Colnago' are on top of the finish, they are very tough and not easily damaged unlike a Pinarello of a similar vintage. Where did the decals on your frame go? Could be another indication of a total re-paint or perhaps just removed to allow an 'LX' or decor upgrade to the finish?

This is an interesting frame. Your research is pretty damn good.

Just another thank you and another topic - I understand Poland is helping and making a real difference to the lives of the desperate Ukrainian's who have been left homeless - thank you.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 10-04-22 at 06:51 PM.
Likes For Gary Fountain: