View Single Post
Old 07-23-21, 06:55 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
On the men's side Remco isn't gassed, Primosz is banged up but not gassed, and let's be real, Pogacar broke a sweat no more than 4 times the entire TdF (3 wins and one double Ventoux stage). Plus if anyone is trending up since the Tour, it's WvA, who came in undercooked due to appendix surgery and is gaining steam -- to put it mildly. So 2 Slovenians and 2 Belgians that will be among the favorites. Other picks with a decent chance: Woods if those extra days from leaving the Tour early helped, Dani Martinez unsurprisingly looked terrific for Bernal at the Giro, Simon Yates had a bad first week at the cold and wet Giro but came to life when it warmed up.

Then on the women's side, no one from SD Worx will be tired since they spread the load by taking turns bossing the last major race, the Giro (that and nearly all other major races). And van Vleuten opted to skip it to target Tokyo. The Dutch are huge favorites, and I don't think it's even close. Of course anything can happen but it'll be a huge upset if the Killer V's of van der Breggen, van Vleuten, Vos, and Vollering don't bring gold back to the Netherlands. I would love it if Rivera could podium, but everyone not in orange are clear underdogs.
For the men, it's gotta be somebody who can climb. There's a nasty 6.5 km, 10% climb and then a descent to the finish. So Pogacar, Roglic or WvA, I'd guess. Remco is wholly unproven this year, as far as I'm concerned. Michael Woods as a dark horse.

For the women, it will be one of the Dutch for sure. I'l bet on van Vlleuten.

Edit: Plus, we don't know if Remco has recovered the nerve to descend fast.

Last edited by MinnMan; 07-23-21 at 07:18 PM.