Old 05-11-21, 02:21 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Just so we know what we are talking about.

This is the elevation profile for Hwy1 / Hwy5 from Calgary to Vancouver. 1000kms. Look not just at the total difference but also the profiles on each side.
That's the price of avoiding one partial day of potential headwinds.
Having done this route a few times the wind generally picks up around Kananaskis and drops off past Canmore. About 40km's.

The link I posted above has a bunch of elevation profiles for various routes and gives gradient too. I doubt anybody looked at it.
I've done kicking horse from the west several times as part of the Golden Triangle. I like the last bit from Field as it feels like you are climbing a real mountain pass, and you can see your progress
and there is historical interest as you pass the spiral tunnels on your left and an old original railway bridge on your right near the top. Going the other direction is kind of boring, just a gradual climb to the summit and then a rather steep downhill, no time to look at the scenery. The lower canyon is closed right now due to construction but it is supposed to open this weekend and stay open for the summer.
You are right about the wind, it is worse from about Canmore to Calgary. And it can be really windy.