View Single Post
Old 02-02-24, 01:56 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked 2,867 Times in 1,560 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
BREAKING NEWS: Expensive bicycles/golf clubs/knives/guitars/coolers are better! News at 11!

The distinction that needs to be made here is that advertising has made these things seem critical to "success" in those pursuits, to the point where some people spend more time agonizing over the tools instead of the education and training required to achieve success with those tools.

I'm a published motorcycle photographer. My photos have been on covers and on two-page spreads. I have been down that path thinking that a more expensive camera is going to make me a better photographer and it has failed every time. So I have worked on my craft for decades, looking at my own photos critically and participating in serious and substantive critique groups. I challenge myself to grow creatively every year. Thanks to that study and the confidence that it has given me, I can use mostly consumer-level, mid-grade camera gear to get the job done.

That said, if I were tasked with photographing the Super Bowl from the sidelines, I'd need both a big upgrade and gear AND a ton of practice with that gear to stand any chance of success. I'd stand a better chance of success with my current gear plus a lot of practice vs. new professional gear with little practice.

Tools matter. But skills matter more.
I agree overall, but IME there is a minimum level of quality tool needed to allow you to apply your skills

example: BSO from a big box store are often so low in quality that it will limit ability to ride efficiently and safely and limit ability to use mechanic skills

PS: On photography
IME good glass is important for photography/video. sure you can get amazing pic with all equipment, but it is easier to with better gear
Of course sometimes you pick less than good glass for specific artistic reasons like getting a helios lens for bokeh effects