Old 03-30-23, 04:46 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
That looks like it’s from pretty elite endurance athletes. I doubt I’m that good a fat burner.
It takes a few months to become efficient at burning fat.

I use a specific low/no carb diet to treat a disease - I am not in any way an elite athlete. But after a few months of switching my body from glycogen based to fat based - I can ride in that Zone 2, low Zone 3 range all day without food. And I'm starting the ride with little or no glycogen stores. As my fitness improves and my Z2/Z3 range trends higher - my fat burning keeps up.

For longer rides that will have some intense efforts, or for interval training, I simply add 30-40 grams of carbs per hour. When you go above that low Z3 threshold, you will burn glycogen, so you need to replace what you burn or you will bonk out. If I'm doing a very hard ride - like 1.5-2 hours of tempo(higher Z3) or a big climbing effort - I will preload with some carbs and eat 50-60 per hour.

But I eat plenty of calories, plenty. And the weight keeps coming off, slow and steady - no fast solution or products. Just good quality whole foods, without carbs.