View Single Post
Old 04-18-17, 09:31 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
So I'm pretty much decided on an epic Oregon adventure in late June to early July. Starting in Portland, then to Astoria, down the coast to Florence, inland to Eugene. Then by rental car to Crater Lake for a ride around the lake, which is 33 miles. Back to Portland and a day trip to Mt. Hood for some mountain biking. Bringing a suspension fork along for that, which I hope to leave at the hotel where I'll stay at the start and finish.

Spoke with a park ranger at Fort Stevens SP, who said there is almost never an issue with hiker-biker sites filling up at any of the state parks along the coast, and they don't take reservations anyway. If so, that is ideal, as I like to keep my plans flexible. I'll have five days to cover the roughly 200 miles north to south along the coast, with plenty of options for camping along the way. At $6 a night, it's a bargain.

Has anyone stayed at Crater Lake or ridden the route that can give any advice? Read somewhere that around then, the road is open to bikes, but not cars. There's a large campground, and a smaller one at Crater Lake. Is either better?