Old 08-30-21, 04:12 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
As a kid, I raced BMX and pretty much lived on a bike. I worked in a bike shop, rode for miles and miles and just knew bikes inside and out. I was 13 with a Bicycling magazine subscription, dreaming of campagnolo.

Then I got my first car — a Triumph — and forgot all of that. Over the years I had 3 Triumphs, 3 MGs, a Miata and s few BMWs. I worked for car magazines. I restored classics. I loved them.

In college I bought a mountain bike and rode it everywhere. But then jobs and kids conspired to keep it collecting dust, too.

But then, the cars long ago stopped being a livelihood for me, and even pre-COVID I questioned how much I was still interested in the hobby. Over the past year or so I’ve had no interest. Instead, I find myself returning more and more to the bikes of my youth. They’re still out there, still very capable (more than I am), still beautiful and cheap.

So I find myself back where I started. And that’s pretty good.