Old 12-08-21, 02:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,364 Times in 1,382 Posts
I've been commuting by bike a little bit! Yay!

I'm in college again, but my class is online, so no need to go to campus. Today I rode to campus to use the library. I also rode to rehearsal last night. Man, I love bike commuting.

These days I'm using Citi Bike or my street fixie. Last night and today, I'm on my fixie. I'm getting used to it once again. It's good for the job because it's reliable, and it was cheap. If it gets stolen or vandalized, it won't be a disaster. It has 74 gear inches which seems just about right for me.

Last night on the way to rehearsal, I nearly got hit three times. I made the mistake of taking 10th Ave in Manhattan in the evening rush hour. It's one of the feeder streets that lead to the Lincoln Tunnel to New Jersey, one of only three crossings from Manhattan to New Jersey. Drivers were very aggressive. I am normally very assertive and often ride in the middle of a traffic lane. Some SUVs came up from behind me, about to pass me with little or no clearance at all, and the drivers honked at me. I rarely do this, but I veered out of their ways, because they really might have had the nerve to hit me.

I also had another incident on that ride, but I won't discuss it, because I'm trying to let it go. If I got stressed over every annoying thing that happens in NYC traffic, I'd never have a peaceful moment. These events happen often. When people in sparser areas discuss the bad things that happen, I smile, because those are the things that I shrug over.

I won't be taking that route at that time of day again.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: