Old 01-14-22, 05:20 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwies
Thanks for all the great suggestions and options presented. The picture of my bike I posted before was rather old and I took a new one today. I had already rotated the bars so they were more level to the ground, but I have not moved the brake levers to adjust for the change.

I am going to make the following changes before I take my next ride to see how things shake out.
1. Make sure the top of the bars are parallel to the ground.
2. Reposition my brake levers further towards the bends to provide a better angle for riding on the hoods.
3. Move the stem up one or two spacers closer to the top of the steerer for a more upright riding position.

Once I make those changes I will take a test ride and post a new picture. The weather has been pretty crappy lately, so the timing of a test ride will be somewhat variable. If I can get a dry 40 degree day, I will go out and ride.

Here is a current picture of my bike.

current set up as of Jan 14, 2022
Everyone has their own preferences. I like the top of the bars horizontal. And I like the hoods about 15 or 20 degrees up angle.

If you are new to unwrapping and wrapping bar tape, I think that Park Tools video is pretty good on youtube for bar tape. There are lots of good and lots of bad videos on youtube, but anything you see from Park Tools will be well thought out.

I use strapping tape to tape cables to my bars before I try to wrap them, that way the cables stay where they should be. I do not wrap the strapping tape full length, just use it in about three spots on each side to keep the cables where they belong.