View Single Post
Old 01-16-22, 05:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Okay, so MAYBE triples aren't s**t.

After spending a half hour last night putting the cable runs under the BB in liners, AND fiddling with tension and limit screws and such, I took the Litespeed on my 54mi. Sunday route. NOW it shifts like it's supposed to - though I DID have to loosen one limit screw on the FD, since on the road I was getting chain scrape in the highest gear that I didn't get on the stand. For some reason, now the shifting to larger rings goes without overshifting, and I didn't have to trim as much as yesterday - but I hadn't moved the FD at all!

I figured out what the 'bell' sound is - chain strikes on the chainstay. Happens mostly when coasting. There's a bit of drag in the freewheel which I think is causing the top side of the chain to go a bit slack, so a sudden bump, and *BING!!* I need to rebuild those DA7400 wheels with new rims once the dust settles and I feel like I can drop the foldy/spendy on them. That freewheel has almost no drag.

One issue did crop up. When I started off, everything felt fine, fit wise. About halfway through the ride, I decided that maybe the Ergos were too far away - just a tiny bit, but enough to justify buying a Soma Highway One. Then I had to ride down what USED TO BE a lovely descent, where I could usually coast up to 30 mph. They'd trenched the entire bike lane for at least 200 yards, and patched it BADLY. There was so much chain slap (with me in the smallest cog), the damn thing sounded like a pinball machine! And I noticed the bar was rotating, just a little, each time there was a big hit. YIKES!!! I stopped, pulled out my mini-tool, and got it back in place, and then as tight as I could get it with a mini tool. Still... Anyone ever use assembly paste on an aluminum stem/aluminum bar interface?

Any way, apart from all that, the bike is GREAT!!! I think I'm in love!! Here's the requisite Frenchman's Tower shot, and a close-up.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: