View Single Post
Old 02-14-21, 12:07 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Oh and to answer OP's question ... If you're reading this and you're in it to flip for profit as I have been from time to time over the years, there are ways to do it the right way, not using the wash-and-flip-as-refurbished method. Like...

I often load up on tires at BikeTiresDirect when deals pop up in the $7-9/ea range. Cheapest rate I've gotten at BTD with stacked coupons during a sale is ~$5/tire. Buying in bulk will net you free shipping or heavily reduce the per-unit ship rate.

On Amazon, the Schwinn cable kits will do an entire bike for $8-12. It's not difficult to buy tubes as cheap as $1-2/ea and bulk boxes of brake pads/blocks for cents on the dollar if you're alright with an "good enough" quality product.

Bar tape ... I keep eyes peeled for bulk-buy deals and/or buy less popular colors or styles. Sometimes you can net BOGO deals or catch closeouts on nicer tape, or find people offloading old stock cheap (usually in bulk) on eBay.

The above, some lube, elbow grease, and occasionally a chain is roughly all anyone needs to properly overhaul a bike for profit. I can complete a full overhaul, down to the hub, in 3-5 hours if needed.

My last bit of flipper advice: Before you start hunting, decide on a minimum price/profit threshold and stick to it religiously. I personally have a price/profit threshold of $[double my consumables], i.e. I know I'm out ~$80 in consumables on any bike I buy, so my price/profit threshold is $160. Therefore, I do not buy a bike unless the purchase price is at least $160 less than what I can sell it for..

Last edited by francophile; 02-14-21 at 12:11 PM.
Likes For francophile: