View Single Post
Old 07-23-22, 11:53 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments, I too dream of a retirement that allows me to actually ride the French countryside. The realities of a (more than) full time job definitely aren't reflected in this thread. Like FakeBook it makes it seem like I just hang out in cool bike shops and meet super interesting folks. I do get to do that, and pursue other things like my interest in history, but the reality of the 9-5 in an urban setting makes those activities rare indeed. I wouldn't want folks to think I'm living in some cyclist idyll of lazy days cycling the Champs Elysee every afternoon. Someday though... I will definitely be in a situation that allows for daily training rides and working towards big goals like the PBP. For now it's weekend rides and dreaming, slowly rehabbing my knee and taking advantage of the unique and awesome opportunities that are here.

I think you're right about the shop thing and the more intense the artist the messier the shop. Don't let the appearance fool you though, he knows exactly where every tool is and it's usually within arm's reach of whatever he's set up that area to do. That place is a very refined set of workstations, a fact it took me time and observation to appreciate being an inveterate tool returner myself. My shops are always set up with an anal retentive expectation that every tool will be in the exact place I expect it to be. I think that's the true sign of an avid hobbyist who isn't making a living from his craft. I can lavish that sort of time and attention on my setup because it's for the pleasure of being in that space only.

And yes, i have a strong Oregon connection. I lived there thanks to a work assignment for three years, and my in laws live in Eugene. Despite being born in Pa I view Oregon and the mountainous West in general as my real home.

How about a thread of pics dedicated to that cream colored wonder?

Good luck with the recovery, I hope you're on the mend and back in the saddle quickly!