Old 07-11-21, 09:53 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Less weight on hands with LONGER reach?

I have a Surly Cross Check that I'm always messing with, changing bars--flats, drops, "alt" type bars w backsweep. It works a number of ways, it's a WIP. These bikes are known for their long top tube and short head tube and can be tricky to fit for some. I actually went down a frame size on mine from the first one I had. One phenomenon that seems really counter-intuitive is that when I extend my reach w different bars, I feel like I'm putting less weight on my hands. I suppose it's because I'm engaging my core more because I simply have to. The opposite is true with the alt flat bars w significant backsweep---they're fun and put me in a more upright, theoretically comfy position, but I end up kinda scrunched and leaning on my hands. This does not seem to be the case though with my other bike, where it's more what I'd expect - shorter reach, less weight on hands. Looking at the two bikes side-by-side, and measuring things, they're actually really close the way I've got them set up. Just something about the Cross Check frame....it's weird...

Last edited by pbass; 07-11-21 at 10:17 AM.