Old 11-05-21, 08:14 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
Yeah I've heard that lots so I'm not going to argue, seems most people have this opinion. I do have horns for some extra hand possitions. I've done multiple 100km+ rides and never felt that was an issue. On the flip side the GF and I recently did an "intro to the velodrome" ride for fun. I'm not totally inactive, my job is physical often, I cycle obviously, do weights, cross train/personal trainer with the GF the odd time, occasionally play tennis etc... Riding at the velodrome was the first time I'd riden drops in a very long time and I couldn't get over how exhausted my upper body was riding on them, and we were only doing a few minutes here and there. I guess everybody has their thing.

I know flat bars can get really wide (and for good reason as cyccommute mentions) but mine are 600mm. That's more or less how wide my shoulders are, so unless these grannies bump shoulders and jockey for position thats a hard argument lol.
Its whatever you're comfortable with. I ride very wide drop bars - 46cm, set same height as the seat (except my road racing bike, which is an inch lower) and can ride those bars for hours. My mt. bike has 700cm bars, but no bar ends as we've too many tree gates where i generally ride.