View Single Post
Old 07-20-22, 07:37 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Except for when I was descending and a yellow jacket latched on to my sock and started stinging me. Naturally at the second fastest but most technical part of the descent.
Years ago 3 of us went on a 5 day tour to Julian in the hills above San Diego. I think it was the fourth day and we were following a canyon road back to the coast. There was a gravel facility of some kind up there so there were gravel trucks buzzing us all the way. It was truly terrifying. In a right curve there was a truck inches away on my left using his Jake brake and a mountain on the right. A damn bee chose that moment to sting me on my forearm. I couldn't even reach over to flick it away until there was a turnout after the curve.

It was one of my longest days on a bike, about 11 hours. When we reached the coast it was almost dinner time and we had 40 miles to go into a stiff headwind. Part way through this ordeal I was following my friend and I realized he was trying to catch guys out on their evening rides while we were on loaded touring bikes.He got us close but couldn't close the deal so I went around to finish the bridge up. I couldn't do that now.