View Single Post
Old 01-07-23, 07:35 AM
JanOnline

Bikes: Kona Sutra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While touring myself I've seen so many cyclists giving away their photos / touring experience to surveillance / big tech / advertising companies like Instagram, Facebook or Google, it really felt a shame. Luckily, there are good alternatives these days (in addition to CGOAB, which has already been recommended here).

Those of you active on Twitter may have heard of Mastodon and the Fediverse, a decentralised, open and free alternative to big tech platforms. The Fediverse also includes a pretty great photo sharing app called
Pixelfed that very much looks like Instagram but without the corporate greed and user surveillance involved.

I have set up a Pixelfed server for the bikepacking community at biketravel [dot] photos so we can share our travel pics there freely. The great thing is that since Mastodon and Pixelfed are 100% compatible with each other, the millions of folks on one network can easily follow you on the other. In fact, because the OP asked: people can even follow you without an account at all.

If that sounds interesting to you, feel free to ping me, I'm happy to create an account for you.

I'm posting my own touring pics here: biketravel [dot] photos/ilumium (and people from across the Fediverse can follow me as ilumium@biketravel.photos.

All the best,
Jan