View Single Post
Old 01-27-08, 03:38 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
52t and 42t Stronglight Crank

Are we still doing this? I've been trying to figure out some of the stuff I have, and I've only been able to figure one out so far. I had to plea for help! Stronglight gave me the lowdown, and said I could quote any and all of it, so I'm just going to post what he said, because it's terrific information! It's quite a sales pitch for a not very special part, but I spent about 3 hours trying to figure out what it is, because there wasn't really markings on it.

It is a lower range Stronglight cotterless crank and I had its twin which indeed came mounted on a mid level early 1980s Peugeot which I had used for many thousands of miles as my commuter bike. I later gave the bike away to a someone in need of similar transportation, so it's probably still in use! The pedal threads would be for standard 9/16" x 20 (not French). And as I recall it also had tattered plastic dust covers which were 22.0 mm (NOT the obsolete Stronglight 23.35 mm) so threaded replacements are easy to fine, or of course simply the plastic push in type, just to keep the the extractor threads clean... and best of all this also means the cranks will accept standard modern crank extractor tool. The square tapered spindle used was the standard 118 mm length, as on most 1970s French double chainring cranks.

You'll notice the outer ring is permanently bonded to the crank arm. Not a good design really, since the ring cannot be replaced, but in this case the chainrings are actually so strong that these would probably last as long as the bike for which they were intended. The inner ring is 122 BCD so that one could be easily replaced with any commonly found Stronglight chainring, and it is usually the smaller rings which will get the most wear... in my case, it never seemed to wear, anyway.

So, nothing fancy about these cranks, but certainly practical and durable and best of all without a lot of the quirks of earlier French threaded crank sets. Depending on the bike these may be used on, they could probably accept a 68 x 115 or 68 x 118 "UN-53" Shimano square tapered cartridge bottom bracket which are still easy to find, inexpensive, and should last also for many tens of thousands of miles.