View Single Post
Old 09-21-21, 08:10 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
All I can say is, count your blessings. An accident like that could've left you with a hospital bill easily many times over the cost of the bike if you're in the US, where healthcare is what it is.

The fork can technically be straightened, with the right tools. I have the right tools but my confidence in that fork after would be a bit low. You should replace the spoke on the front wheel also, especially if it was knicked, not a difficult process given it's the front wheel, and easy to remove/measure/pick up a replacement spoke, thread, tighten, true.

It appears the fork took the brunt of the damage here, whereas with a front-ender, impact would've distributed into the top tube and downtube by way of the head tube. Still, I would carefully check your head tube, both head lugs, make sure you don't see any bulges or downturn ("off" angles or angle discrepancy) on either the top tube or down tube within 2-3" of the head tube. Inspect closely for cracks in the lugs.

Three options: Repair, replace used, replace new..

On the first, maybe find someone local that works with frames and has the necessary tools to straighten the fork out. Or maybe someone like a @gugie would be willing to help if you pay shipping to/fro and promise not to hold him liable for future failure, because that's always a risk with a repair like this. But ideally, you'd want to replace the fork with something appropriate, either from a comparable model, or an aftermarket one, Pyramid made (and I believe still makes) replacement forks, though most are chrome and a tad heavy.

You could also consider having a framebuilder make you a suitable replacement, or shopping eBay for a used replacement, or posting a WTT/WTB ad here in the ISO or sales forum hunting a fork with XX steerer length.. It'd be a shame for such a gorgeous vintage steel bike go to waste over a rack! But I appreciate you posting this, if for no other reason than showing how important it is to use nylon-locking hardware or blue threadlock on things that can come loose.

I've bought a handful of bikes from people who've had front racks come loose like this, sending them over the handlebars. Last one I bought was a Peugeot mixte, and the owner didn't fare so well - she was just getting back to walking after the wreck left her with a fractured pelvis. Needless to say, I don't put anything on the front of my bike these days if such a risk exists.

Likes For francophile: