Old 09-23-21, 02:31 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
That is what I've heard, but there also seems to be some consumer protection on debit cards.
Be careful. Although it depends on the jurisdiction, for credit cards the dominant doctrine is that the merchant is responsible for fraudulent uses unless he can show the customer's signature on the receipt. Needless to say, most fraudulent uses are borne by merchants. For debit cards, there are cases where the card holder may be held responsible, if the issuer can show that the user has disclosed his/her PIN. Things are evolving and I am not current on jurisprudence, but there was a time when there was a genuine risk to the user. See here for instance, where it says that banks cannot charge a customer for fraudulent usage once it has been notified.

In practice, in Quebec (where I live and am a little more current on these questions), I am not aware of cases where the customer is left holding the bag in cases of debit fraud. There are a few instances where fraudulent usage has been demonstrated, and others where gross negligence appears to have lead to out-of-court settlements, but as a rule, if there's something wrong in your statement, you are presumed innocent and the withdrawals will be reversed.