Old 07-03-20, 08:02 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
I haven’t ridden any Berthoud saddles, but I do own two Brooks Professionals and a Selle Anatomica. Based onOPs description, the Galibier would be too narrow for me. I rode a Brooks Swift for a while, which has similar dimensions to the Galibier and could never get comfortable. I eventually determined that I was sitting on the frame rather than the leather. The pro, somewhat narrower than B17, was the right fit for me.

I like my Selle Anatomica as well. It is an X model, although I bought it before SA introduced its current differentiation between X and H so its not the same as current X models — more similar to H than current X. It doesn’t have a cut out and has thicker leather and is heavier than current X. It has been quite comfortable. SA saddles have very long rails to allow for a lot of fore/aft adjustment, which is nice but SA has had problems with the design. Newer models have heat treated steel rails, but when I bought mine this as not the case and I snapped the rails after two years. This was a common problem for SA; they replaced my rails with the heat treated versionbut charged me $50 for the new frame.

Edited to add: Just refreshed my memory on my SA.I bought it in 2014 and it is an NSX model. At the time there was no differentiation between NSX and NSH and NSX was rated for up to 250lbs. The NS variants still exist as the models without cutouts (NS=No slot?) but now they have NSX for up to 190 and NSH for above. I think the difference is just thinner leather on the X to save a bit of weight.

Last edited by DOS; 07-03-20 at 08:12 AM.