bhdavis1978

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Jamis Citizen 3.0, Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Drive train questions

Hi all,

I am looking to get my wife an e-bike for a friend. This person is somewhat overweight at over 250 lbs, though I don’t know exactly. I am debating recommending a geared rear hub with a torque sensor vs a mid drive. My concerns are about sufficient power to help the person confidently get up relatively short hills, usually around 5 to 6% incline, occasionally around 10% (but can be avoided with some careful route planning), although it will mostly be flat. I am thinking about recommending a fat tire bike version because they are not the most confident rider and I think it will be more stable for them.

What are the factors I should consider when making this decision? A mid drive bike I think will maybe ride better and have better torque, but will cost more if the motor needs replacing, although probably it may need less repair and replacement. A big advantage (maybe) of the rear hub is the throttle so if they get tired they can stop pedaling altogether, but the mid-drive is going to be better exercise I think, and probably with a high level of exercise it won’t be a problem. Especially because they can make it up some of the less steep hills (3.5%) currently on the lies gearing (26 front like 34 rear).

what do you folks think? What should I think about? What is your recommendation?