View Single Post
Old 07-24-21, 04:50 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Guess I am not an outlier. I ride an e fat tire bike (4.8" tires) with significant noise on pavement a lot. Although I like being off road in soft stuff there is not a lot of that where I live and it is significant distances to get to it. My typical jaunt to find good stuff might be 70-80% pavement to get there. I like 3-5 day jaunts of 200 to 500 miles. Is it worth it? yeah.

Benefits include not needing a bell or a horn on the bike path. People jump off the path before you can use a bell anyway figuring a service truck is coming. I don't really care for the noise but I put up with it. I have gotten use to the way fat tires ride. I have a big Q angle and I like the extra pedal width. When tubeless, you can pick up a nail, stop get out the plug kit and put a plug in it before you lose enough air that you have to pump it up right then. I can carry significantly more weight I get between 4,000 and 6,000 miles on a set. You can run off the trail and not lose control.

What I don't like. At certain tire pressures and speeds the bike will tend to dribble. You cannot park it in any commercial bike rack. Fat tires are good at slinging mud and goose crap that even with fenders may find you. Good tires cost a lot of money. Bike handling is sensitive to tire pressures. I run anywhere from 2 PSI in snow and mud up to 18PSI on pavement. They can shoot rocks and things like walnuts out to the side like they were shot from a gun if it hits them just right. No damage on that one yet. The extra traction you get can get you into trouble downhill on sketchy soil. You can have good breaking, go over a little ledge where the brakes stop the tire and the stopped ire slides when it contacts the ground again.
Likes For KPREN: