rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 5,658 Times in 2,927 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
A lot has been said in this thread. Aero means a lot. Position means a lot. Structured training means a lot. Equipment means a little.

While all these things are true, recently my approach has changed a bit. Previously I kept adding gears. What this allows is for you to ride a broader array of conditions in your preferred comfort zone.

I now have discovered single speeds. These may seem a quaint, backwater novelty to most but, what a single speed does for you is rip you out of your comfort zone. You either get strong or you don't go. The ride is much more varied. Light load & 130 cadence going down. 500 watts @ 60 rpm going up until you explode.

A single speed set your preferred cadence at your preferred speed & letting terrain dictate your level of "discomfort" can force a lot of adaption.

Now that I've the light, I'm never going to not have one in my stable.

Try it. You might like it.
My winter fendered bike is a 12 speed with a racing block. It doesn’t nearly have the gearing of my modern bike, so I really have to muscle the hills. I figure it is a good training bike since it doesn’t give me an easy out on a climb similar, but not too similar, to your fixed gear. Good recomendation.

Regarding a more aero position on the bike; I have had shoulder pain for the last two years which is pretty much resolved after doing strength training. I can hold an aero position longer with little discomfort which is a bonus.

I have also gained a significant amount of strength for out of the saddle climbs over the last two years as well. Previously a 10 second climb would hav me out of breath with legs burning, now I can hammer for 30 seconds until lactic acid kicks in, and I am nearly not so out of breath.

Last edited by rsbob; 11-11-22 at 11:09 AM.
Likes For rsbob: