Old 03-20-18, 07:52 AM
MrMinty

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkFloyd
The things that I find slightly intimidating at the moment as regards starting with the racing is (a) wondering whether I've got the fitness for it, and (b) wondering whether it's all a bit chaotic. I've got a reasonably decent road season planned (doing the Fred Whitton along with a few other big sportives) so hopefully that and a few of the SQT sessions available at Manchester (Structured Quality Sessions; basically interval drills on the track in a big group) will help with the fitness and track craft. Just a case of getting in there and learning after that, but your write-ups give me confidence that it's not as impenetrable as it may initially seem.
a) just dive straight in, there's no shame in a DNF. At least you are learning your track craft

b) Its not chaotic at all. There will be moment where people cut you up etc, but just hold your line and nerve and you'll be fine.

I got accredited in Manchester on the Sunday and raced the following Friday. All you need is track time and to get used to being in a group. Have a look at Carletons beginners guide to read up on this. My first goal was to finish in the bunch and not be first out in an elimination race.

Where do you live? There's plenty of outdoor tracks that have leagues over the summer