Old 07-05-22, 06:58 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Do people do fast pacelines on MUP's? I've never heard of that.
They do, and I’ve seen them on aero bars, 25 mph or more, “making friends” on the paths. I always hope for that squirrel to dart out.

Grant’s Trail in St. Louis, especially past parks and the Clydesdale barns of A-Busch, almost too crowded for cycling.

The So. Illinois Madison County Trail system generally has a mix close to settlements, but open spaces where you can pick it up. The crossings at farm lanes are easy until the corn gets high. The bollards are modern, plentiful, and well marked. I think that’s all they can do. There are miles and miles of shade, rabbits, deer, chipmunks, etc. Small towns are spaced out for ice, water, etc. In all cases, caution and courtesy make it great, but that is unfortunately not the rule. The speed limit signs have just gone up, 15 mph.

We ran right at that for 65 miles on the 4th, 55 on the 2nd, with plenty of great people as we prefer the courtesy and caution approach. We stop a lot, for families, especially, and always whoop it up fir the little kids on bikes.

Last summer, on one of the hottest days of the year, we did 150 miles at 18 mph on a training ride for a double century. There were few people and we stayed out in the open.

There is often a classic car show at the trailhead, bonus!