Old 07-05-22, 07:01 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I dislike them too. I use to commute, minimum 11 miles one way, on the Mt Vernon trail that is next to the George Washingtin Pkwy. Park Police patrolled as it is a Federal road. The bollards are at road crossings. The MUP is the only way to ride on the Pkwy as bicycles are not allowed on the road. The curb is the lane marker. The Pkwy is more of a major commute road even though it is marked with 40 max MPH where the drivers totally ignore the speed limit with up to 60 mph. Park Service tickets are always paid in full!
Those intersections are a problem on weekends because next to the MUP is the Potomac River and lots of recreational parks. People coming the opposite way often go across the line to go around the bollard leaving no room for you. Sometimes they are indecisive about which side they are going to go around. Add earbuds to the mix and ....

They should not be steel or wood but flexible plastic that will bend in both directions. I know it is easier for a vehicle to run over it, but that is the point. The safety of the pedestrian should be taken into account. It is a Multi Use Path, not a sidewalk.

The speed limit of the MUP is 15mph. With tree roots and other challenge, pace lines do not make sense. Speed is not a good thing on a MUP with others.
Wasn’t a BF member seriously hurt in a head-on on that parkway?

I’ve ridden that, Old Town, Alexandria to Mt. Vernon, I think.