Old 11-19-22, 12:53 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
This thread illustrates the difference between knowledge and wisdom. Or more to the point, chasing data points vs. understanding wheels as a system.

2 observations.

There's discussion of the effect of flange thickness on spoke tension. That's moot because it's not a factor.

It's true that relative spoke tension relates to the angle that the spokes leave the rim, but the hub flange is out of it because the spokes are laced over/under. Therefore both inner and outer angles are different only according to the thickness of the spokes.
As to torsional differences. While tension differences on individual spokes are possible, the sum of all torques will ALWAYS equal zero. The ONLY way to have differences between pulling and trailing spoke groups is to have one flange have a net torque in one direction, and the other flange have an opposite and equal net torque.
1. There's radial with head out, and radial heads in. Try it sometimes - the 3.2mm offset difference will show.

2. The spokes laced / under over are heading out at 2x, 3x or 4x. The actual reach difference will only be at or less than .3mm. ( point three mm) Nothing to phone home about.

...and FB...all else considered equal - perfect rim set, perfect nipple set - there will be initial tension differences between the inside / outside spokes of a pair. The gap closes as the tension increases - but not 100%.

We're talking differences of less than 10 kgf for a 110-130 kgf wheel. Nothing to phone home about.

It's like arguing about inside pulling and outside pulling - instead of the just building the damn wheel.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Likes For mrrabbit: