Old 06-23-22, 05:20 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 246 Posts
Shimano RD/FD-1056 Flat Handlebar Shifters compatibility

After doing an inventory of all my spare parts, I have figured out I can build another bike. I've got pretty much everything, except the cockpit. The frame (cheap steel) originally came with a steel drop handlebar and downtube shifters. I would like to build it up with a flat / riser handlebar. The problem is that I don't have any MTB drivetrain parts (and really want to use what I have) so the bicycle is getting a double FD-1056 and a 8 speed RD-1056. The rear wheel is going to have a 7 sprocket Shimano HG freewheel. Crankset is going to be Shimano FC-1056 (52 & 39T chainrings). Are there any indexed flat handlebar, rapid/fire style shifters that would work without too much fuss? I'm less worried about the RD, that will most likely work just fine with alternative cable routing (I used that RD with 8 speed shifters before, probably best shifting I experienced to date). The main problem is the FD. Most of the shifters I see are for triple chainwheels. And I'm not sure, but they seem to have some sort of indexing also? What would be the best solution for that? Ditch the FD shifters and use a thumb shifter instead? Or is there something nice and sleek that would work? I'm currently thinking about SL R440, at least for the back.