Old 03-07-20, 06:21 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
...13.99 bike stand, you say?
ALDI in NY had a very similar (if not exactly the same) tripod bike repair stand on the floor for $19.99 about three years ago. Someone on this forum from out-of-state told me he had bargained them down to $14.99. I went in and asked the price. When the employee (who turned out to be the store manager) said $19.99, I immediately put it back. He asked why I thought $19.99 was too expensive and I told him, "to be honest, someone told me he paid $14.99." The manager asked me to hold on a minute as he checked something on the store's computer. When he came back, he said "How is $13.99?" I almost grabbed all seven of them left on the shelf, but I didn't want to let on about how excited I was about the price (!) so I only took one.

When I got it home and set it up, I was amazed by the overall quality of it. It was sturdy enough to comfortably support my "main" bike with all its accessories (rack, panniers, lights, pump, etc) and it even had a tool tray and a stabilizer bar to keep the front wheel from turning sideways. My biggest problem with it was the wide tripod stand that held it up, which quickly proved itself to be a tripping hazard.

Still, I wished I had purchased a few more of them, especially when I was able to hand this one over to my neighbor's new boyfriend as a sort of "welcome" gift. He must still think I'm very wealthy or something, because that thing looks like a $200 repair stand if I ever saw one. Anyway, LIDL appears to be selling one that looks just like it for $29.99 right now. If you go in to buy one, see if you can get it down to $13.99!

Originally Posted by phughes
If you are buying it for the spoke wrench and tire levers, you would be better spending the $20 on a spoke wrench and tire levers. You would then have a few dollars left over for a Gatorade or a cup of coffee, and would have a better spoke wrench.
Don't worry, phuges. I'm not buying one. I already have about seven spoke wrenches and a case of tire levers I bought off a bike store that was going out of business.