View Single Post
Old 10-07-22, 07:10 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I was hoping you'd weigh in. Thanks! The general consensus on the forum is that the key off draws on the battery are too great for the size of the battery. Unless it is commuted in every day, for a significant period of time, it doesn't charge fully. We take public transport whenever we can, because we hate driving in the city, so the car gets used little. maybe once a week sometimes. One poster postulated that if is let sit for a full week without being started, the offline draws would completely drain the battery, at least for being able to start it. I'm going to get a voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter, in order to keep tabs on it. And maybe a portable jump start unit. Seems like it would be handy to have.
A voltmeter can tell you if the voltage drops but it can't tell you why. An ammeter can tell you how much parasitic draw is on the battery. We like to see less than 50 milliamps. If it's under that number it shouldn't go down in a week. An inductive ammeter is expensive but cheap ones are available that connect in series. When checking for a draw you have to wait for all modules to go "to sleep". This might take 15 minutes. If the draw is intermittent, good luck.

I still think your problem is just crappy batteries.