phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
Agree - some cars will not tolerate low end or even average batteries ... not for long at least

And for some cars an AGM battery might be a better option

We have two Acura's with a fairly high parasitic draw - so a low end or even medium level battery will not be sufficient

Also have batteries in three garden tractors that will sit for extended periods - again a low end battery will not be sufficient

At one time I used Sears Diehard batteries with good results - but then Sears went under and don't know if the reintroduced Diehard batteries sold by (?) auto parts stores are the same high quality as the Sears Diehard batteries of decades ago

I believe the top level Sears DieHard batteries were manufactured by Johnson Controls - as opposed to Exide - but not sure (I believe both companies have been purchased and / or renamed )

More recently I've purchased Duracell batteries that (I believe) are manufactured by East Penn ; these batteries have provided good service in our cars including both cars that have high parasitic draw and also in the garden tractors that sit for extended periods

The last Duracell battery I installed is an AGM battery - more expensive and the slightly smaller size forced battery tray / hold down modifications - but the AGM battery has higher cold cranking power and will tolerate longer periods without use / more tolerant to drain
Our MDX battery lasted 7 years and 135k miles despite the draw. I’ve been constantly impressed with this car. Runs as good as the day it was new. I’m likely going to replace my VW with a ‘23 when the time comes. Either that or an A4/V60 wagon