View Single Post
Old 11-01-22, 06:39 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Only a handful of people have been killed or paralyzed by carbon fork failures, just ride' em until they snap.
Why Carbon Fiber Bikes Are Failing - Outside Online
Police eye Cervelo fork in fatal crash | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
I have recently replaced the fork on my new-to-me, low mileage 2005 Litespeed Tuscany with an ENVE 2.0 fork. I have no actual idea of this bike's history of use/abuse or crashing. The guy who sold it on Craigslist seemed nice enough and honest, but I don't even know if he was the original owner.
A couple of years ago I bought a 2011 Jamis hybrid with a carbon fork for $200 on Craigs list. The guy who sold it was not a rider. He must have been 6 foot 2 inches, older than me (I'm 64), and weighed 250 pounds. The bike is 19" with a radically sloping top tube, perfect for me, not even close for the geriatric bruiser who had it before me. Again, the bike's history is unknown. The all-carbon fork weighed 620 grams; the bike got a Soma Fabrications steel fork upgrade.
I ride for enjoyment. Worrying about dying (or worse) due to a lightweight Fiber Reinforced Plastic bicycle fork breaking is not enjoyable.