Old 01-29-23, 05:41 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
You can probably get any chain up to 11 to work on a 6 speed freewheel because they all have the same inner (cog) width. The only limitation is if the cogs are so far apart that the chain won't cleanly land on one cog or another - but 11 speed chains aren't narrow enough to wedge between the 3.5 space from cog to cog on 6 speed. So no chain is "rated" so much as SRAM doesn't bother making dedicated 6 speed chains for the repair market, since they don't need to. In poorer markets they do make 5/6 speed chains with an outer pin width approaching 8mm, which will not work on 7 speed.

There's plenty of old 5/6 speed chains NOS in boxes, which is why I advised the OP to use a narrower chain if there is a problem with FD rub. However, I used a SRAM Red Ti 10 speed FD as a friction 8 speed derailleur, and it is more than wide enough.
I'm not a big fan of SRAM.. i have a saying... "you have entered... THE SRAM ZONE Zone zone zone zone...... this mainly comes from their endless search for the perfect Work-around of the shimano standards... "how many different shift pull ratios can one company manufacture? not sure... we should wait until SRAM releases their newest lineup....."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33460423931...Bk9SR9yPvP6_YQ

Last edited by maddog34; 01-29-23 at 05:48 PM.