View Single Post
Old 07-11-21, 02:30 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
That's what solved my, becoming a mechanic, problem. I didn't want to learn that mumbo-jumbo. So I became a carpenter instead.. I learned later it wasn't as bad as I built it up to be in my head. But it was too late by then.
Oh, it's bad if you're the one who gets all of the intermittent, impossible to duplicate problems. Think of all the weirdest crap you've ever heard of happening to cars, the stuff that just baffles people. That was my job, a professional guesser. Oh, don't forget factory warranty diagnosis time is .3, yes 18 minutes. So a car can bounce from one dealer to the next and when I get it I have to figure it out in 18 minutes, or request extra diagnosis time which must be approved and justified.

Of course, if you're personal friends with the manager you can avoid that type of work for the most part and stick to customer pay services and make 10 hours on a car that takes 2 or 3 hours at a casual pace while earning $5 to $8 more per flag hour than the old guy who was there 18 years when you showed up. But I'm not bitter.