View Single Post
Old 09-11-21, 09:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,915 Times in 6,102 Posts
I spent some time today washing a couple of my bikes, including the Ritchey, so of course I also re-lubed them. I spun the back wheel up while checking the shifting, and when I stopped pedaling it and let it freewheel, I discovered the freehub now sounds like it was filled with gravel.

Great.

So, I figure I need to service, or replace the freehub body. Small problem - it's a 25 year old Shimano 7403 hub, meaning there's a special tool to remove the freehub, and then, with luck, I can clean up and re-grease it, because I almost certainly won't be able to find a replacement freehub body. I found the tool. In Belgium. I ordered it, so it will be here sometime in the next...month. So, now the Ritchey is out of commission and the Bianchi is still in the shop, like an Italian exotic car, waiting for a part.

Good thing I have 6 alternatives.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles