View Single Post
Old 06-05-23, 03:53 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by MrInitialMan
There is no such thing as a four-wheeled e-bike in Canada; power-assisted bicycles are described under Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1038) as (amongst other things) " is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground."

A four-wheeled vehicle with a motor of any kind is a passenger car and subject to all regulations thereof. This is what I got from the Alberta DOT, and that's a can of worms I do NOT want to open.

By the way, do you guys think that in the floor frame I could get away with 1x1" and 1x2" 18-gauge tubing? That drops the weight of the floor frame down to 44 lbs. Even 16-guage brings it down to 58.

Or maybe even 1/8th" wall aluminum tubing of the same size?
I'm guessing very few of us here have designed or fabricated an example of a steered quad cycle (beyond perhaps tiller steering) much less one with tie rod steering and with a front suspension on a frame which does not itself flex to provide the suspension. But that little Fantom thing in the YouTube is an example. Can't you take its frame design as an example of how stout you need your frame tubes to be or scale up or down from it? Some of us here have some background in design and night be able to help you scale up to the next size, or downward.

Plus how do you (here I mean the OP) manage climbing versus descending? Do you have a multispeed transmission or is it essentially a fixed gear?

Seems like it would be nice if you were Henry Ford. Are you?

Last edited by Road Fan; 06-05-23 at 04:12 PM.