Old 06-17-16, 10:12 AM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
That's just not true..

Back in the day it may have been the case but with todays compact drop bars the hoods are the intended hangout point while the drops are for control and aerodynamics.

If you look at the pro peloton, most riders use hoods most of the time and swap to drops when the situation so dictates.

Back in the day when bikes didn't have functional brake hoods and had those horrendous deep drop bars even the pros spent a lot of time in the tops, and bars were often level with the saddle.

With today's bike design, the bar is placed so that the rider uses 95% of their time at the hoods as bars are lower than they used to while still having the drops in the same place (compact bars you see)

So no, if not doing a TT, one should not ride extended periods in the drops and if one does, the bar is likely too high
I don’t follow your point about compact drops which is counter to what I think you are trying to say based on my experience, but don’t take my word for it!:

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/buyer...wzXLRHAfbLr.97

“compact bars keep you higher and work well for people who are less flexible, or aren’t racing and therefore don’t need to be chewing the stem”

If you look at pro-tour rider, their position on the TOP of the hoods is likely to be lower than most touring riders in the DROPS – so not comparable at all. Seems like you are getting into frame design, current racing frame trends (short head tubes) and how to make an average guy fit on one.

I was offering my opinion to this point: if you are going to use drops make sure they are setup to be “able” to use comfortable (if required) for extended periods of time in them. If not, may as well get trekking bars….which is a 100% legit solution if it works.

Besides, todays touring frame are much closer to the ‘racing’ frames back in the day.