View Single Post
Old 10-24-21, 08:04 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
I run 2 inch tires (Schwalbe Big Bens, about 45-50psi, depending on load) and a B17 Flyer on my touring (dropbar converted mtn) bike. The ride is much softer than than a B17 Imperial equipped CX bike that I run 700 x 38s (Panaracer Gtravelking slicks, 65ish psi) on, which has a much softer ride than B17 Imperial equipped road bike with Gravelking 28mm slicks(85-90ish psi). Tires will be the biggest bang for your buck.

I can feel the springs in the flyer working, though they are stiff. I rode the touring bike with a B17 Imperial before I got the Flyer. I definitely felt a ride improvement with with the Flyer.

A combo of good(fast, easy rolling) 2 inch road tires, a Flyer (or 66), and a good quality suspension seatpost would help quite a bit, I'd think. The only additional thing might be to ride with a suspension fork. All this could be done and still have a bike with excellent performance. My touring bike is a fun(!) bike to ride, with or without a touring load. With a touring load is probably the best.