Old 10-25-21, 09:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
I read all this talk about 90 rpm being a good cadence for cyclist, Yet I see all the time road cyclist speeding along while riding my comfort bike at a cadence barely faster then my 70 rpm (in a lower gear) much closer to your preferred cadence of 80 rpm.

Also at 200 lbs at 6' 2" your bmi of 24.3 using the new bmi scale is by no means high. The new bmi scale more accurately represents a healthy weight for tall and shorter people. "They" suggest a bmi of 25 - 27 for seniors over 65, While to 25 is normal for other folks.

I worked with a middle aged man 6' 4" tall and 280 lbs, that's a bmi of 32. He road his bike to work 10 miles each way 6 days a week, even in the winter. When they checked his pulse and blood pressure they were going to call an ambulance both were that low. I don't know what his cadence was, but I'm sure he didn't need 90 rpm for good power.

I saw him riding in my neighborhood where he lived and thought to myself, My God these high school kids are big today, until I recognized him. Quite a sight seeing a 280 lb 6' 4" man on a skinny road bike, Which he pretty much destroyed in 1 year.
The new BMI scale appears to set a pretty low bar for fitness.
Likes For PeteHski: