View Single Post
Old 12-01-22, 02:03 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by DriftSpin297
Bike Riders!

My name is Wessel. I am a Dutch student currently doing my bachelor thesis in International Business.

I am looking for bikers to fill in a survey about their preferences when purchasing a new (custom) bike. It is aimed at everyone riding bikes, at all levels and disciplines.
To start off, aiming at everyone riding bikes needs to be thrown out. It is impossible to do customization for everyone, because everyone, basically a really large portion of the population, is not interested in the additional cost that is associated with customization. You can't customize and compete with low cost imports.

But customization is an interesting concept, if that customization includes actually manipulating frame geometry, to some degree, to impact ride and handling.

I believe Shimano has received a patent for a wireless braking system. It would be pretty amazing to be able to make tweaks, swap out bars, wheels, gearing and then use an app to get everything to run smoothly.

Such a departure from read reviews and a ride around the parking lot test ride.

Of course, some of this technology is not there yet, and it would have to come in at sub-20lbs, and the result may not as good as a single specific use bike, but it would be a pretty cool concept. And if it is a thesis...

John