View Single Post
Old 02-16-24, 06:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Pattimom74
Hi kcinnick, almost a year later I came across your post while searching for feedback about the 2.0 vs 3.0. I’ve narrowed it down to those two and I have a specific question. Now that you have ridden your bikes for a year I’m curious if you still think the 3.0 is better? My specific question is, does the 3.0 handle hills any better than the 2.0?
Yes the 3.0 is better. In lower initial cost bikes getting the top of that range is important as they usually don't top out very high. The less you spend initially the more you spend long term. The costs gets removed somewhere and with is generally not being sensible to change the frame and fork (though Jamis does it) the shifting and braking suffer more. 7 speed came out in the mid to late 80s and 8 speed came out in the late 80s early 90s it is 2024 and we are in the 12-13 speed era so those lower tier groupsets aren't going to be great unless a modern purpose built set like Advent then you get something a little more decent.

When you start hitting Tourney level (including the M26 and similar from others) components run don't walk to the next bike. Unless you are riding once in a blue moon because that is the only time you can actually ride I wouldn't put any money towards something that scraps the underside of the barrel. Luckily though Specialized has a sale on some stuff and for $50 more you can get a 3.0. They used to have a nicer roll back in the day but it is has slowly declined in component quality now that they have the more desirable Como which is electric and way initially the same geometry and comfortable ride as the Roll and is still upright and comfortable and might be the same geo-wise but I haven't actually compared and much prefer the old one in many ways.