Old 05-12-21, 07:08 AM
GHomer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar Trailer

Originally Posted by elfich
I just got the Nashbar single wheel trailer. I'm going to post my comments on it as I go.

My immediate observations

Just horsing around with the trailer while not on the bike:
With the trailer mounted the entire assembly is long and a beast. When the bike is not moving and you are dismounted the bike and trailer naturally want to jack-knife or fall over. Very unwieldy in a confined space apartment.
I live on the second floor of an apartment building. You have to be very careful decending with the trailer mounted to the bike as you descend. I would not suggest pure road shoes for this activity, you need all the traction you can get.
Climbing the stairs at the end of the ride was just as hard in a different way: You MUST keep the bike as upright as possible or the trailer will flop around and change climbing the stairs from a chore to a significant hurdle.

Riding:
The trailer likes to descend on hills. Having both brakes ready to go is not optional. You will pick up speed on descents much faster.
Climbing. I had a single courier bag with two large locks in it (one for the bike, one for the trailer). My total extra weight was around twenty five pounds. I found a short sharp hill climb (Pine Street in Albany, NY-cobbles and all) and found that I really wanted to down shift more than the range I had available (front 39,53). I'm guessing I'll be finding a three speed front and a granny gear eventually. Do not attempt to stand on the pedals and rock the bike back and forth in order to get more out of your climb. You have to rock the extra weight of the trailer as well.

So far I like it. I don't feel like I'm (personally) weighted down while on the bike. The overall bike feels 'heavier' but personally I do not loaded down quite so much and that feels a bit better.
I plan on starting to run errands in the 3-7 mile (one way) range and I'll start commenting as I discover idiosyncrasies with the trailer.

The trailer isnt meant to be pulled up stairs lol...try carrying the bike and trailer separately up stairs as you're supposed to do! Secondly as for balance it takes practice only....I've done long distances and went beyond the recommended weight....it handled fine up or down hills and did not push me barely at all!