Old 10-12-22, 06:27 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I've had the version 1 radar since 2015 or whenever it was they released it, and about 8 months ago, I upgraded to a RTL515 when it was on sale for $150. The light is vastly improved, and the radar appears to work as well.

Within only the last 2 months (having changed nothing apart from doing firmware updates), when I stop on the bike, and then start out again, I get a series (sometimes between 10 to 20) immediate false positive warnings in rapid succession, even if the road is deserted, or if I am on a trail with no cars. I've removed my saddle bag to test if that was the source of the false positives, but it was not. This seems to happen intermittently, rather than at every instance. It can be quite annoying, especially if starting out on a road where I would benefit from having the radar working reliably. Once the ride is underway, everything is fine.

I've done a factory reset, and as mentioned I do all of the firmware updates.

I'm using an Edge 530 as a head unit, FWIW.

Anyone else have this issue, or have any suggestions for what else to try?
You're not the only one. I purchased an RVR-315 during the sale earlier this year and it is paired with an Edge 830 that was also purchased at the same time. After turning it on and before starting a ride, it will operate normally while parked by the street. However, once I start pedaling, it will give me a series of false positives as I get rolling. At first, I thought it might be all the mailboxes or something but it's not and it does the same if I'm starting a ride in a more remote location. After the first 15-20 seconds or so, it goes back to normal.

When stopping to take a break, it will continue to operate normally and will pick up cars passing by or even fellow riders walking or riding behind the bike. Then, just like you, when I get back on the road, it gives me the false positives for several seconds before returning to normal operation.

I don't recall it exhibiting this behavior when I first purchased it but it definitely has been happening the last 2-3 months. Like you, I'm wondering if the auto-pause has anything do with it or maybe there was a glitch in a Garmin update.
Likes For TennBent: