Thread: AC Joint Sprain
View Single Post
Old 05-05-22, 06:04 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2018), Giant Roam 3 (2021), Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 (2022)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 66 Posts
Oh yeah, thanks for the link to the exercises. I have invested in a set of elastic bands - the Physio at the start had me doing a lot of the isometric exercises, but after YouTubing 'AC joint rehab' or something similar it was quite apparent that I needed a set of elastic bands and I have been doing it everyday (or almost everyday). I tied one to the clothesline and do a set or two of internal and external rotations every time I walk past. When I went home for Easter to see my Dad I grabbed a set of dumbbells I had laying around from my teenage years (never really did get into weights) 5+ kg is probably still too heavy for me, but funnily enough I find the bar heavy enough for most of the exercises if I don't want to use the bands or if I want to add a bit more weight. One night I was doing 'side lying lateral rotations' with the dumbbell bar and heard a 'snap' in my shoulder, and surprisingly, its felt about 5% better since then.

One of the best rehab videos I found was by a guy called Trail Breaker. Simple, straightforward, no-nonsense type stuff:

AskDrJo also has some good videos on shoulder rehab, again in a simple, helpful way.

That's the frustrating thing about this injury - for me anyway - is that I can do most of these exercises relatively comfortably (although admittedly I can't do too many 'sets') but find there is a big difference between doing these exercises and the 'real word' and lots of everyday tasks remind me I'm not out of the woods yet - like reaching for things, standing for long periods of time (shoulder gets sore), walking, winding the windows down/up in the car (old car), steering with the affected arm, lifting things, sleeping on my affected side, and just a general feeling of the shoulder feeling not quite right. I'm still not confident in reaching across my body, for example. Having said that, I guess things are slowly getting better - it wasn't that long ago putting a shirt on or off was causing me great pain and in the past week or so even putting on my socks has been relatively easy.
Likes For Cornchips: