MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10187 Post(s)
Liked 5,888 Times in 3,173 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
When I follow the common suggestion to drink a bottle per hour while cycling, I have to urinate multiple times during my typical 3 to 5 hour rides. Obviously the human body sweats more in higher heat so perhaps the bottle/hour is only a summertime guideline. I ride in the 19-20 MPH group rides on the road and the equivalent (but obviously slower) on big gravel routes. Typical distance is 45-70 miles.

I realize this is a personalized concern and every rider will have different needs. I will reduce my consumption for the next few months and guage my performance and fitness, but I don't want to bonk!

So, to the wise, experienced and friendly BF members I ask; if you too have experienced this, how have you adapted your consumption?
I think you've erected a one-legged straw man with the one bottle an hour thing. We don't know the air temp, the relative humidity, or even how big that bottle is. You are not in danger of water toxicity with that intake, but if I had to pee multiple times on a ride, I'd cut back. There are plenty of estimates of water consumption you can look up and, as brother Morse states above, a little dehydration won't hurt you. I think the most common recommendation is to keep losses under about 2% body weight for optimal performance, but I'd have to check.
Likes For MoAlpha: