View Single Post
Old 09-14-22, 08:02 AM
Doubleplay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
Sorta, but I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse by this point, because you have some kind of e-bike grievance. Jealousy?

If I put 100w into a manual bike up a hill for 1 minute, I'll burn 6kj (6 calories) of energy (100x60)
If I put 100w into an e-bike up a hill for 1 minute, I'll still burn the same 6 calories of energy, I'll just be further up the hill.

Granted, if I did the same course in the same time on both bikes, I'd use less energy on the e-bike. But the point you're deliberately missing is that there's nothing stopping me putting the same effort in, getting the same workout, and travelling further or getting home faster, by using an e-bike.

How many calories I burn is only related to how hard and fast I move my legs whatever I'm sitting on.
As I also train with power meter I agree with you for the pedal assist ebike as far as power goes and calories burned.
But on a flatter road one can go further on the bicycle because your speed is governed by manufacturer and laws.
Having said that an ebike is not a bicycle and it's a separate category. Bicycles are human powered by definition and you are comparing apples to oranges.