View Single Post
Old 03-01-07, 05:09 PM
Carusoswi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride about five miles daily to and from the office - rain, shine, or snow. I own two bikes, an old Schwinn Le Tour (1973) and my "new" bike, a 2005 Cannondale Cyclocross Disc. Since buying the C'dale, I rarely ride the trusty old Schwinn. I keep the Schwinn tuned up for the kids to ride when they are home.

Although the C'dale will take wider tires, I have it fitted with 23 cm and ride those all year long. I confess that they proved quite dicey during the four or five days this February when we experienced some real snow (which has, unfortunately, become almost a novelty in our area). I can control my bike in three to four inches of powdery snow, but, this year, we received a combination of snow and a sort of "snow-cone" ice that reached a total depth of about six inches. The skinny tires couldn't seem to reach deep enough quickly enough to prevent a sort of "snow-hydroplane" effect that would effectively stall my progress. On hard-pack, the tires would break intermittently break through the surface causing me to constantly squirm around making correction after correction. Some wider rubber would probably have helped greatly. Where I could follow a tire track, I rode - I walked the bike in other areas. I am somewhat proud and very happy to report that, through all that weather and over all the various degrees of snow, glaze, ice, black ice, and slush, I didn't take a single spill. I can't say that I enjoyed those rides, however, but, I rode the bike just to prove to myself that I could do it. On the couple of worst days, as some of my coworkers sat stranded in their cars out on I-78 for 24 hrs, and others decided not to venture out altogether, I was the only one who made it to work, so riding the bike does have redeeming qualities beyond even exercise.

In total, I think there were only three or four snowy days where I really lamented not being equipped for a better grip, so, given the relatively few days where we experience that kind of weather around here, I doubt that I will ever invest in a second set of wheels/tires.

Work is in the Reading, PA area - home is outside Philly. During the summer months, I'll often take extended rides on weekday evenings over some of the back country roads outside of Reading - sometimes traveling the 50 or so miles to French Creek State Park and back (out during last light, back in the dark). I never allow a weekend to pass during winter or summer without taking at least one longer ride (50 - 80 miles). My style varies depending on what I feel like doing that day. Some days, I'll take a long ride and see how fast I can cover the distance. On other days, I put on my music and take a much more leisurely trip.

On some weekends, I'll ride from the northern PA suburbs north into the Princeton, NJ area on mostly posh but lightly traveled two-lane roads with no center or shoulder stripes. On other days, I'll ride to and through several of the state parks in the area. On other days, I'll ride down into Philly through the Broad Street traffic to City Hall and back.

Like Chipcom, I try to ride predictably, courteously, without challenging auto drivers, even if, on occasion, they challenge or aggravate me. Once in a while, I fall short in my effort to avoid confrontation, but those occasions seem to grow more and more infrequent.

I love riding - it gives me great peace of mind, and, even though I carry a cell phone with me, it stays in my trunk bag and rarely gets answered if it rings. Having figured out what seems to me a safe and effective way to pipe music to my ears allows me to marry my two greatest passions in life.

I have enjoyed accident-free riding for the most part. Back in 2002 the rear wheel of my Schwinn pancaked on me (folded up like an omelet) causing me to spill while moving along at 25 mph. Those were my pre-helmet days. I fractured my right arm and needed some stitches in my scalp. Last June I was right-hooked and suffered a bruised knee and badly bruised muscles/skin on my left arm. Those are the only noteworthy mishaps I have suffered during many years of riding.

I feel that, during my lifetime, I have been blessed with the opportunity to ride during an era when bikes were (are) in a state of advanced development. Although the Schwinn (especially in stock form) seems a little basic compared to my C'dale, it is (was, even in stock form) a darned nice piece of riding stock compared to the stuff I rode as a kid. I cannot describe (and am certain I don't even need to here) the pleasure I feel as I cruise along effortlessly at 15 or so miles per hour, the bike totally silent save for the slight hum of the wheels as they roll over the pavement. We have access to a wide choice of inexpensive, effective equipment (lights, pedals, shoes) that greatly enhance and extend the riding experience.

I am ever amazed as I realize that my bike takes me places and allows me to see things that most folks who don't ride will never see. It's a great feeling.

Caruso